Monday, April 30, 2012

Tin sign patchwork.

So a couple of weeks ago I met up with a gentleman who had replied to one of my craigslist want ads.  I went to meet up with him at a closed up hardware store to pick up some old paint cans.   Store was located in middle of a busy city, but hidden behind a "riot" gate down an alley.   Though I did get some nice paint cans, the real "gems"  awaited me when the gate was opened.   I immediatley noticed the reverse side of some embossed 7up soda signs.....

After making a deal for the paint cans I asked him about the signs.   He said I could have one and proceded to try and pry one off with a piece of angle iron.  Seeing he was gonna do more damge to them, I asked if I could meet him again in a week or so and get the signs.   So this weekend arrives and I go there, hammer and pry bars in hand.   In total I removed about 20 nicely weathered coke, 7up and pepsi signs.   2 Had to be left behind because a door frame was built over them.   Here is the score and some of the examples of what I found.  No estate sales this weekend, but this surely made up for it...





Some of these signs will be up for sale/trade.  I will be keeping a few, and I know a couple will end up being gifts.   My father already got his hands on one of the coke signs.  


No comments: